Woo hoo! New Year. New Calendar!

It is 12: 05 as I begin to write this. A new year has begun. Woo-freakin'-hoo! Once upon a time I viewed each new year as a welcome to hopeful new beginnings. Now, it is more about me screwing up while writing a check.

**The neighborhood yay-hoos are setting off fireworks and it irritates the piss out of me. Loud booms bring me no thrill. I'm overtired which makes Miss Riss a tad cantankerous. I could have waited until daylight to start writing this, but prefer to write while inspired - good or bad.**

Set the bar low and pretty much anything relatively okay equals something faboo except in dating and dining out.

2018 wasn't a total shit show. Early in the year I quit a job that made me absolutely miserable. The people I worked with were, to be blunt, a collection of everything I never wanted to be and prayed I never encounter again. As individuals they may have been acceptable specimens, but together they defined Mean Girls. I walked away from it and have not regretted it at all. The level of bullshit I am willing to deal with has hit an all time near zero tolerance.

A part-time job found me and it is one that fulfilled many needs. Great people can make or break a job, is what I have learned. They bring out the best in one another. Hooray! My need for more money kept me on a search for a full time job. I found one, but continue working at the happy valley place because I need it for balance both in my mental state and checkbook.

Local theatre provided me with a mass amount of gratification. It was challenging being part of the choir that sang mostly in latin in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. It was amazing. Having met some truly lovely people in the process enhanced the experience.

Later in the year, around Halloween, community theatre would once again provide me with a positive experience. This time the 'stage' was a moving, living, interactive entity: Guiding guests through Sleepy Hollow reenactment. Part scripted; part improv. A totally new endeavor that just got better with each run. We never knew how the groups of 40 would react or if they'd interact at all.

**Composing this post has become arduous. My eyes are heavy from lack of sleep, carbs, sugar, and the weight of 2018 nipping at my heels. I will continue after sleep and coffee.**

**I'm caffeinated now as I continue composing this post about 2018. I cannot promise full coherence since this post is far from outlined. Just try to keep up.**

Summer brought one of my favorite community events: Merchant Street Music Fest. Since my part time job has a heavy hand in organizing the event, I got to be in the thick of it. Looooooooooove!

My high school reunion was organized around the event. It provided us with the perfect ice breaker venue. People I have not seen or visited with in the flesh were there. With the joy brought some very bittersweet, confusing situations that I have managed to work through. My closest friend was there by my side to ensure all would be well. The uniqueness of my graduating class is that no matter the distance, we all grew up together and continue to stick together. It's a beautiful thing.

At long last health and dental insurance has returned after almost 2 years of going without. My employment isn't providing. It is through the gubment healthcare program. Due to my lowered income I qualify for a deep discount. The income from my part time job covers the premium. 2019 is providing some goodness already. It took me nearly 7 months to prove that a discount is deserved. Oy! So much headache. If your employer provides for you be grateful!

2018 was not my favorite year, but it was far from the worst year. Here I sit running the events through my mind to present them here, and the frustrating moments are miniscule when compared to the good ones. That doesn't suggest those crummy events don't pack a wallop. Those who know me well understand my transparency. That may not translate well on ye olde social media. I am not an eloquent person.

The sentiment to the left is accurate. Regardless of some positive personal events, it remains a weird as hell 365 day run. An indelible mark has been left on my finances and credit rating. Changing the calendar won't put an end to mind boggling occurrences. The change of numeric year will not suddenly deliver prosperity, lasting love, weight loss, improved health. It cannot transform one's mental health.

Throughout the next 365 days I will strive to forge ahead and leave the bullshit of the past behind me. It isn't easy, but I cannot change the past even though the past has changed me.


*** Kudos to BluntCards for creating images that encompass much of what I think, but doing so in a manner far more humorous than what I could convey.

Comments

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?

Popular posts from this blog

WARNING: Eye contact may cause unwanted conversation

Inaugural video message from your Wildhair

Doot, doot, doot lookin' out my front door