Thanks Mom and Dad

My brother sent a most eloquently written email last night after Barack Obama was announced as being the 44th President of the United States. In the letter, he spoke of the manner in which we were brought up. I was quickly reminded that our mother and father taught us that love, respect, honour, dignity, admiration, adoration, righteousness, fortitude, humility, humanity etc, HAS NO COLOR.

From that I immediately thought about one of my favorite movies of all time. When the movie was in theaters, I was a mere 2 years old. It wouldn't be for several years before I viewed it. This movie was ground breaking in its controversial (for the time) subject matter.


"Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" still holds such relevance. I watched it a couple of weeks ago and felt entranced. I was in awe. The following video is the final speech made by Spencer Tracy. I feel it says it all. I thank my parents for teaching me to be color blind.






Last night, November 4, 2008 I sat in awe once again, but on a whole new and different level. I was overcome with emotion. A day had come that I thought I'd never see in my lifetime. What made it even more amazing was sharing it with my son. "Mom! This is history!" He high-fived me as he let out a whoop!


I could sense the energy of a nation as I watched a very humbled Senator John McCain make his concession speech. God Bless him. He was gracious and humble. His words set a tone for Americans to follow in welcoming and supporting our new president. God Bless America.



Comments

  1. The excitement of the night was almost beyond reality. I am so proud to be an American citizen who is color blind.

    I love my country, I believe in the foundation of this country, and I am excited for the change that is coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been an amazing week; just when all seemed lost, America has redeemed itself in the eyes of the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?

Popular posts from this blog

WARNING: Eye contact may cause unwanted conversation

Inaugural video message from your Wildhair

Doot, doot, doot lookin' out my front door