Ah-Dumb says what?

Adam and I talked that night about our hopes and dreams. We discussed how well we got along. He spoke of kismet. My heart swelled that such a lovely man could possibly be falling for me.

We made plans to see each other the following day. In that conversation we discussed my house ware needs. When I divorced I left behind many things. I took what was mine. I took what my son required. Adam wanted to help me rebuild what I had lost. I needed a vacuum (I borrowed a friend's.) I needed a dinette. I needed a washer and dryer. I had those to take at my ex-husband's home, but transporting them couldn't be done without assistance.

The following morning Adam called requesting my presence at the local Super K-Mart. He stated that he knew it wasn't high end goods, but it was a start. I happily complied and met him and his little girl. We had a fun time while we looked for bargains that would help me make my home more homey.

Dining table sets were just too pricey and I couldn't allow him to spend a king's ransom on me. He did buy a Red Devil vac, extra bags and offered to move the washer and dryer to my home in the next weekend. In my mind, I was thrilled that 'next weekend' was a possibility. He grabbed various other small items that he felt I'd find useful. I'd discussed wanting to get in better shape. Kathy Smith's Workout Guide made its way to the cart. We would also make a detour at a used sporting goods store for hand weights and, if it had been less pricey, a treadmill.

I felt very uncomfortable letting this man I just met buy me things. He insisted that I hush and let him do something that made him feel good.

We went back to my house for lunch and nap time for his daughter. During that nap Adam took pleasure in snapping a few photos of me. I wasn't comfortable posing. He laughed at my efforts to relax enough to allow the camera to see what he sees when he looked at me. I remained full clothed. He said he'd upload them on his computer at home and send them to me.

We kissed. A lot. We talked even more.

His little one would awaken and my son would unboard the bus to be greeted by a man I hoped would be part of our lives for a long time.

Sadly, the time for him to depart came. This time we didn't make solid plans for the following day, but the promise that we'd move the washer and dryer was made.

I had errands to run once they made their way back home. On cloud 9, I set off into town to take care of some personal things. We were gone for a couple of hours. In that time I hoped my cell phone would ring. It didn't. When we got back home I looked to see he hadn't left a message on my home phone. I turned to the computer to see if he had sent me the photos as promised. He had ... along with a message that went something like this:

Here are the photos I took and promised to you. I know this will come as a surprise, but a woman whom I'd been pursuing for the past year has communicated with me that she is available and ready to make a step toward a relationship with me. She's part of the writing group where I am a member. I'm going that direction. You're a wonderful woman and I wish you happiness. The pictures are sexy. I hope the come in handy.

tears ... until tomorrow

Comments

  1. Oh hon. My heart is breaking for you. I'm sorry. *secretly wishes a piano would fall on the hussy that interfered* Ok.. NOT so secretly but STILL

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sad thing is that this cretin believed he was being nice. I think you were fortunate that he stepped out when he did.

    I wish I was closer, I have a shoulder all ready for those tears. Along with a huge hug for an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. I'm long over it now. This was back in 2001. Embarking on NaBloPoMo is what made me think of Ah-Dumb. He wanted to write the great American novel. What's funny is that I can't even remember his last name now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?

Popular posts from this blog

WARNING: Eye contact may cause unwanted conversation

Inaugural video message from your Wildhair

Doot, doot, doot lookin' out my front door