I love that kid!


Today I am stepping away from my recent blaze of frivolity on here. There are times when I feel the need to be earnest and boastful.
I have one child. He is, without a doubt, the light of my Earthly life. Without him, I wouldn't fully comprehend and muster the ability to share unconditional love. He's had struggles; yet, he tenaciously overcomes each one of them. I suppose I should take credit for helping him conquer his fears and learning disabilities. However, I feel I've done nothing more than any parent would do for their offspring. He's overcome most of his learning issues (see Asperger's Syndrome) due to the phenomenal teachers who've graced his school years. Without them, I would have lost patience and done a lot more crying. I realize that not ever parent can say that. We've been fortunate.
Man-cub receives a mainstream education without outside resource classes. He has made leaps and bounds in his first year as a teen-ager in junior high school. It's a tumultuous time due to the hormonal rage that is festering. Add to it that he stands heads above the rest. He is tested daily by kids smaller than he. Try explaining the Napoleon complex to a 13 year old who is just sick of being called names like douchebag. His teachers and I make attempts to encourage him to ignore it, but report it. Maybe I should be working with him on an intimidating stance and facial expression. I really don't know what would work best.
Today I had my parent/teacher conference. As I entered the building, I was greeted by a group of school personnel. They were manning the gates, so to speak. Upon mentioning my son's name, I received hails of what a great child I had, "I love that boy! He is always so pleasant and polite." I glow with pride. As I made my way to the classroom where the meeting will commence, I encounter Man-cub's Social Studies teacher. I introduce myself and he declares that he remembers me from the previous conference last semester.
Teachers gathered in the hall with apologizies that they are running a bit behind. I remarked that I was relieved as I was also a tad delayed. Meanwhile, we make small talk as a woman emerges from a room. "You're Man-cub's mother? I don't have him in any of my classes, but he's just wonderful. He hung around me when we went on the field trip to the Freedom Museum. He's so insightful." -- gush.
At last my time was called and I was given rave reviews on how hard my little man tries and how proud they are over his personal and educational growth this year. "He's really coming into his own and learning to manage his social skills." His Math teacher seems to adore him the most. She has him for 2 periods a day. From her mouth to my ears, "He's taught ME so much as a first year teacher. I appreciate him everyday. He is working at groups and taking control. I would have never thought that about him at the beginning of the year ... he can handle himself." She's passionate when she discusses my boy. Her eyes light up and I thanked her emphatically for taking such a keen interest in, not only his educational growth, but his emotional and social well-being.
I wanted to burst into tears of overwhelming joy. Naturally, I want him to excel scholastically, but when you've seen your awkward child blossom, it's just something that cannot be put into words.

Comments

  1. Yay for Man-cub! Yay for Man-cub's Mama!

    Your pride in your little man is evident -- and well deserved. To see one's child in a positive light through the eyes of others is one of a mother's greatest joys.

    How wonderful for both of y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw sheesh, this almost brought me to tears. It is wonderful for a parent to be so (rightfully) proud of their child, and it can be so rare in the teen years. You've got a good one there! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?

Popular posts from this blog

WARNING: Eye contact may cause unwanted conversation

Inaugural video message from your Wildhair

Doot, doot, doot lookin' out my front door