I'll take frosting; hold the cake


I look forward to birthdays not for the presents or the joyful singing in various keys. Those are undoubtedly perks of aging. No. It's the cake, but not technically the cake. Give me the frosting. I always ask for the corner piece that's thick with butter cream. If there's a frosting floral arrangement it's even better! When all the pieces are cut and the ribbon of icing remains on the cake plate you can bet I'll be taking a fork, spoon or hell, skip the utensil! I'll just slide my finger along the rim of the plate and plop that glob on my plate.

I dream of cupcakes piled high with frosting. The wax paper wrapped cake part is merely a vessel in which to deliver the creamy, sugary goodness to my pie-hole.

Yeah, I know. I'm gross. I wouldn't do that finger picker-upper around anyone but family. It's not like I lick the plate. mmmm mmmm mmmm. I eat the cake simply because it's attached to the frosting.

Today we celebrated all the summer birthdays in our family. Well, for those who could attend the party. A good time was had by all. Mom put all of our birth dates on the cake and inserted a candle. She told us to find our candle and blow it out. Talk about an interesting means of extinguishing the flame. It's a good thing a little spit never killed anybody. At least we're all related.

For lunch, lots of pork goodies were grilled. Pulled pork BBQ was in the crock pot. Deeeelicious! Next to the frosting, I am there for the good eats. The boneless pork ribs were so tender they nearly melted in my mouth just like the butter cream frosting.

I enjoy my family very much. I snapped a ton of photos of my adorable nieces and nephews. It's clear by the vast number of photos that I needed to chronicle their development. Plus, they are so doggone cute! Kids are much easier to photograph. Adults resist the shutter and flash. Though, I did manage to get a picture of them here and there.

I would post photos of the kidlettes, but without parental approval I can only show my niece's squishy foot. In general I' m not a fan of feet. Ironically, baby tootsies are amongst some of my favorite things ... and frosting.

Comments

  1. You and I are going to get along sooooo well with each other!!! I most definitely do NOT like frosting. You can have ALL the frosting off my piece. So should we get married? Since topsurf is not likely leave her husband any time soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I am also a frosting hoarder and nab that corner piece every time. Sometimes I even scrape it off and save it for last so I can shove the entire creamy, buttery portion in my mouth. I have also been known to sit down with a can of frosting and a spoon... Dang, you touched on my weakness. Maybe we don't need to ever meet -- we'd emerge from the house 50 lbs later...;) I'm glad you had a great time at your party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I shudder at the thought of all that sugar! You are welcome to all 4 corners of my b'day cake. Now the pulled pork, that's a different story, move over girlie you got a fight on your hands now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily I don't have a lot of birthdays and I'm particular about the kind of icing. If it's not butter cream or cream cheese frosting then I am not inclined to go for the gusto.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmm pork! I love pork ribs, and pork chops, and pork loin ... I'm ok w/pulled pork, but it isn't on my list of things I *like* to eat.

    Funny - I usually scrape the icing aside and eat the cake. I can not ever remember which kinds of icing I do/don't like. I do know that when i buy the frosting in the can to put on my own cakes, it is yummy. Then again, it is chocolate. Purrr.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?

Popular posts from this blog

WARNING: Eye contact may cause unwanted conversation

Inaugural video message from your Wildhair

Doot, doot, doot lookin' out my front door