Something funny leads to good deeds

someecards.com - You'll know I'm your Secret Santa if you don't get anything

This card inspired an idea that has always been stumbling around in the back of my mind each year holiday gift giving season rolls around.  I'm a grown up with a big girl job.  If there is something I want, I buy it.  For several years I have not participated in the gift exchange at work. This act has led people to call me a Grinch.  My actions, or lack there of, have nothing to do with my lack of Christmas spirit.  My heart is full of giving and light all year long but especially during this time of  year.  Rather than buying friends and family items that will likely end up on a shelf collecting dust or re-gifted at their work white elephant exchange, my money goes toward donations to less fortunate people.  In years past, I have been a recipient of such gifts that made giving my son a Christmas possible.  Out of the blue I was showered with generosity. 

Pay it forward.

When this card was posted on my Facebook wall along with the comment "because you don't need anymore crap, I'm spending your Secret Santa money on food and toys to donate to a worthy cause." My friend Brett commented, "I directed all my fans to send my gifts to St. Jude's, Smile Train, And Toys For Tots. Or any other great children's charities they can find."

Don't you just dig that? Nothing would make my heart grow and glow brighter if you donated a gift to my charity of choice this season and just let me know who you are honoring in the comments below. If you choose another charity, PLEASE share it with a link. Let us all be able to bring joy to someone who has been down on their luck or have lived a lifetime of misfortune.  Your kindness may be the little thing that gives them hope.

Project Angel Food "For LIFE, for LOVE, for as long as it takes"

Comments

  1. We've done this with our nieces and nephews. We let them pick the charity and send the money. It's a great way to get them to look at what they can do.

    Good job Riss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. This is a great post, Riss, and perfect food for thought.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?

Popular posts from this blog

WARNING: Eye contact may cause unwanted conversation

Inaugural video message from your Wildhair

Doot, doot, doot lookin' out my front door