The Christmas Letter

As the years have gone by as a single mother, my friends and family have assured me that my son will one day recognize that it is I who've provided for him.  You see, in the past Mancub, when given a writing project at school, would wax poetic about his father ... his absentee father.  Deep down it always hurt me.  I'd do my best to disguise my envy and encouraged him to be open about his feelings.

On December 15, 2010 I came home after working a grueling 12 hour day.  The 15th also happened to be the day of my first safety and quality inspection with my BIG boss and her boss. Stress so intense you could slice it with a Ginsu.  In the end, that visit turned out to be amazing, but the day still seemed forever long and never ending.  All I wanted to do after that roller coaster was chillax with my son and put my feet up.

It wasn't long after arriving home and shortly after hanging up my coat that Mancub handed me a folded piece of paper.  I asked, "What is this? Is it good or bad?" Knowing very well my son has very little bad to report regarding school.  He replied with a smirk, "It's good. I think you'll like it."

Quizzically, I unfolded the single sheet of paper to see what appeared to be an assignment from his keyboarding class.

It reads:

Dear Mom,

Thanks for being there for me even when things get tough for you especially at work because I know how annoying some of the people can be at work and you work so much, but I'm really happy you work so hard.  You've always taken care of me even though it can sometimes be stressful for you and, for that, I am sorry, but you have to know that I've always been proud to be your son.  I wouldn't be happier with any other mom than you.  Ever since dad left things have been tough for both of us and I know you kept trying to fill both his spot and yours and I have to say you've done a great job with me because without all of your love, I would probably be in a pretty bad place.

I want to thank you for all the things you bought for me and gave to me, Mo-mo and Silver. Because of them it's made it feel like I have someone to care for on my own just like you do with me and it's taught me a lot about responsibility.  I'm thankful for the food you cook for me everyday and don't think for a minute that it isn't any good because your cooking is phenomenal. If there was only one thing left to eat in this world I'd want it to be your food.  There are also the clothes you've bought for me that I'm thankful for because without them I'd be freezing my behind off outside right now. Also, thanks for the games that you buy for me sometimes because I know how much you love me whenever you say yes and I can get one.

There's also our house that we live in. It may not be the best place in the world, but it's still home sweet home to you and me. Besides, if we didn't have that place I probably wouldn't have met Kodi or Brianna, wherever she is.  And there's also the glasses that you've gotten me. If I didn't have them I wouldn't be able to see your beautiful face every morning or read like I do now and it's also your inspiration that I'm thankful for because you inspire me to just get up in the morning. Even though it doesn't look like it at times, but I am grateful for everything you do every day and that's why I'll always be proud to be your son and I'll never regret it. Because without you, I wouldn't be here right now typing you this letter.

Cordially yours,

Your son Mancub

P.S. Please don't ever change who you are, because you're perfect the way you are now.


Through tear soaked eyes I read the letter. Then, embraced my lovely son and told him he just gave me the best gift ever.

Comments

  1. this sooooo made me cry! Ohhh yes that is the BEST present EVER!!
    What a sensitive and observant young man...you should be beyond proud!! You are raising him with a healthy and respectful view of women and his future wives and girlfriends should get on their hands and knees thanking you!!
    It is nice to see how appreciative and loving "mancub" is....that should let you know that you are doing an AMAZING JOB!
    He also has obviously inherited your writing talent!
    (((((hugs)))) to you both....there is no amount of money in the world that could ever buy a gift as meaningful as that letter!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. He's very sensitive and has always been observant. It's so nice to have it all in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a great job with him, and he's on his way to being a man that you will always be proud of :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?

Popular posts from this blog

WARNING: Eye contact may cause unwanted conversation

Inaugural video message from your Wildhair

Doot, doot, doot lookin' out my front door