The time has come

When you look at the photo to the left, what does it say to you? Does it make you laugh? Does it raise question of the sanity of the subject? Would you want to share a glass of Chardonnay with this woman? Would you ask her to be with you during childbirth?

She's hilarious and giving. She's loving. She's mom to two of the most amazing young men you'll ever meet. She was with me during childbirth. Without her I would have hyperventilated. Without her, my life might have taken a terrible turn when our mother passed away in 1981. I was born the day after her 10th birthday. We've had a bond that can't be broken from the moment I took my first breath. For her, I would do anything.

Friends, this is the very real face of cancer.

Yesterday marked the anniversary of her diagnosis. For 11 years the ghastly mass lay dormant. Then, what I've nicknamed her alien baby, decided to rear its ugly head and grow.

If you've read my blog for more than a year, you know how trying it's been for my amazing sister, her sons and our family. Even in the face of horrific, life altering events, Maureen has maintained a sense of calm and positivity. I'm quite certain her partner and love, Kris, has been a huge part of helping her find serenity when a storm is brewing beneath.

Last year, prior to realizing Maureen's alien baby was the cause of swelling in her right leg, she created team HUNGER FOR A CURE with Relay for Life. She'd had this dream for quite some time. We didn't raise a lot of money, but it brought us together at a time of tragedy. We walked together and celebrated life. We celebrated the lives of those we've lost to cancer.

I'm not above begging for money when it comes to such a worthy cause. When I sent out the call for assistance during Mancub's Easter Seals fundraiser, you all answered generously. There's plenty of time to donate, but my belief is there's no time like the present.

The link at the top, right hand of my blog will take you to my personal fund raising page. If you're not comfortable doing an online donation, you can print out a donation form and mail it or I'd be happy to send one to you. I want you to feel comfortable when donating your hard earned money. I know that it's a difficult time to request donations. With a bounty of gratitude, I thank you for whatever you can pull together. You're welcome to donate a little at a time, too. Five dollars here, 10 dollars there. Whatever you can muster will make a difference!!

Thank you from team HUNGER FOR A CURE

Comments

  1. I wish I could do more. I will contribute, though!

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an angel. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely contribute! What a great cause...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me just say that I normally do NOT look that goofy! LOL! Thanks to those who can donate. Special THANKS to Wildhair for being quietly heroic and giving in her own right. Just keep on keepin' on!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?

Popular posts from this blog

WARNING: Eye contact may cause unwanted conversation

Inaugural video message from your Wildhair

Doot, doot, doot lookin' out my front door