What a mug!

I mentioned in my "Mother's Day" post that it was certain that Mancub hadn't realized it was a special day. Granted, he makes every day special, but for Hallmarkian purposes this day would go unnoticed ... or so I thought.

Shortly after posting the aforementioned blog item, I let Mancub know we were heading out to buy plants to put in the pots on the front porch. I was still in my pajamas and taking my time. It's not often that I'll be standing at the door with purse in hand still waiting after giving him at least an hour's notice that I wanted to get out of the house (and that he'd be accompanying me).

Today made me feel like I'd been stuck in a time warp. I sat at the computer fiddling around thinking I had scads of time to waste before jumping in the shower. Boy, was I mistaken! Mancub had gone upstairs and came down fully dressed! He'd immediately made tracks to the bathroom to brush his hair and comb his hair. He emerged from his beautifying ritual and declared he was ready to go ... and there I was still sitting in my sleepy stank! I tossed my hair high on top of my head in a ponytail and hit the showers. A bandanna is a girl's bad hair day friend.

Off we went to Wal-Mart. Did I mention that in addition to my amazing mothering skills, I am also a discount shopping superhero? I put on my blinders and bowl my way through as if I'm the only one in the store. Remember: "No eye contact will save you from unnecessary conversations."

We only visited the lawn and garden section. There was a rather sickly assortment of hanging plants and a few starter plants. I found a fiery orange Gerbera Daisy. I love daisies. There was another gorgeous red flower that didn't have an identifying plant pik. So, I hope it does well. I should point out that I don't have a green thumb. This Mother's Day marks the first serious attempt to grow anything in a pot or in soil. I typically rely on silk renditions to adorn my front porch/deck. Laugh if you must, but it's just how it is, my friends. I'm fortunate that my landlady left several large pots in and around the house. It makes my endeavor to prettify my porch much simpler and cheaper! Since there isn't an overhang or awning on my deck; nor do I want to puncture the siding with a bracket, I picked up a shepherds hook for the blooming hanging baskets.

While at Wal-Mart I received a call from Maureen. She invited us over so she could give me the gift from Mancub. Naturally I knew he had no idea what she'd bought for him to give to me, but that's another tradition. I told her we'd drop my plants off at our house and then drop by her house.

I knew I wanted to get Maureen something, but until our conversation I had no idea what to buy. She'd mentioned wanting plants for the patio. Rather than give her a sickly one from Wal-Mart I decided to stop by a local produce market and greenhouse. Panozzo's has been around forever. I tend to forget about them even though I pass the store often. They were swamped, but had such an amazingly lovely assortment of lively hanging plants, flowering trees and bedding plants. I found a gorgeous Fuschia that had several healthy blooms dangling from its richly green foliage. After picking up and putting back various plants, I knew that was the one for my sister and Kris. When we arrived and presented her with the bountiful, flowering plant, she declared it was her favorite kind! Yea! Rissy done good!

For myself I unhooked (and was vastly dribbled on as it was freshly watered) a pale, yellow daisy plant in a hanger. Have I mentioned that I love daisies?

After spending some time with Maureen, the dogs and a brief emergence of my nephew JP, we departed for some much needed grocery shopping. Unlike my love for daisies, I hate grocery shopping. With the basic necessities in tow, we headed home so I could get my plants repotted and move on to a Mancub first that appropriately takes place on Mother's Day.


My baby boy shaved for the first time. Rather than expelling tears, I giggled with pride. Joy overwhelmed me. I've never shaved a face. I had read the shaving instructions on the Norelco electric shaver that I purchased for him last weekend. I asked Manny and Scott at work for advice.

His peach fuzz had grown quite thick and his cute little mug always looked dirty. With the trimmer on the back of the razor serving as a weed wacker, we cleared the brush that was his long neck fuzz. We learned that it hurt too much to tackle that massive baby chick down with the rotating heads of the razor. He wanted to keep his funny little goatee, but I convinced him to shave it all off and let it grow back in a little heavier later on.

It's times like this that I find single parenting most challenging. I know it was probably as awkward for Mancub as it was for me, but I'm thrilled to the gills that I was able to share this experience with him. It's a guarantee that I won't be present for ALL of his firsts. In fact, it's highly likely I won't want to know about many of his firsts. Oy!

OH! I can't forget to tell you what Maureen gave to Mancub to give to me. Y'all know what a coffee fiend I am. What better present to bestow upon me than the cutest mug on a mug!

Comments

  1. What a fantabulous day for you!!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that sounds like a wonderful mothers day, glad you had such a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe, what a nice gift, and a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the flowers, love the joy of shaving, love love, love, the gift you received. Loved the post! What a wonderful day. I'm glad you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww, he looks just like you on that coffee mug. Aren't we lucky to have such great kids?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! And what a wonderful round up of motherhood - I'm so glad you have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like all the others above me, I loved this post too! Mancub's mug is too cute! You're wealthy with riches far beyond the material kind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Off Topic:

    Why can't I get a gig like LINDA KOLLMEYER >> THE WGN LOTTO GIRL???

    "WOOOOOOO!!!! YA GOTTA LOVE IT!!!"

    "Count your blessings!"

    "Pass out kindness, that which you share comes back to you ten-fold"

    "GET YOURSELF A TICKET!!!"

    "I'm Linda Kollmeyer... Good Luck & Good Night!"


    I could totally DO that job as good, if not better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Riss,

    I was telling people on the LIVE chat today to `check out your blog` cause it's so good, but the comment never made it on -- probably because it wasn't IDOL related.

    I'm working out with the free weights now. They NEVER get any lighter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?

Popular posts from this blog

WARNING: Eye contact may cause unwanted conversation

Inaugural video message from your Wildhair

Doot, doot, doot lookin' out my front door