I'm a walking informercial

Late nights and early mornings provide an assault of infomercials from that steamer sanitizer gadget and hair care products to workout programs guaranteed to get you in the best shape of your life.  In the past, I have been guilty of ordering the weight loss products only to try them a couple of times and when the fat didn't instantly melt away those dvds with all the diet inserts would find a home nestled away with dust bunnies on the back of my book shelf.

Then, as most of you know, I was bitten with the fitness bug.  Basically what that means is that, mentally, I was ready to get in shape, lose weight and be committed to it for a lifetime.  It wasn't until then I began seeing remarkable results.  I had to overcome the pitfall period that usually got the better of me in the past with other diets.  The only way this was accomplished was by having support and encouragement from friends and my online support system of Beachbody.  Initially the weight wasn't coming off and it send shock waves of panic that I might be stuck being obese.  Had I elected to continue my previous typical solo efforts, there is no doubt the proverbial towel would have been thrown in.  Instead of giving up I turned to my Beachbody coach John Hays.  He assured me my body was just going through an initial phase of adjusting to all the good things I was doing to it. Like, eating healthy and working out daily.  Everything I have read says that our bodies are designed to react as if its starving and hold on to fat stores, but it's temporary.  Once the body recognizes what's happening it will react accordingly and reward you with dropped numbers on the scale.  Resistance training helps reduce the likelihood of losing muscle mass and, this is a super bonus, helps you burn calories even at rest.  Cardio burns the fat. You need both. Sorry, kids.  My transformation isn't about a new fad magic pill or easy prepackaged food.  Nor did it require me being in a gym half the day or starving myself of food I truly enjoy.  Through working out 45 minutes six days a week and  making healthy food choices, I have dropped THIRTY POUNDS.  Out of curiosity I turned to my tape measure to get an even clearer picture of my progress (I'm far from my goal yet so much closer).  Total inches lost thus far:
....
..........
...............
.....................
.............................
.................................................................... 20.75 inches

Now, that is only from measurements taken before I started on this journey March 27, 2010.  Had every square inch of my body been measured I'm sure the total would be greater.  When I saw my friend Tom for the first time in months it was a welcome relief for him to comment immediately about my weight loss.  A little while later into our visit he said it looked like I lost more than 30 pounds.  I giggled but tried to seem humble at his remark that I looked "tight".  I'm pretty sure I beamed with an ear to ear grin.  Clearly working out even when I don't want to is paying off.  For the record, on those days when I do not feel up to working out is crucial.  Pushing through those lazy days gives me an immense feeling of accomplishment.

When I post updates on Facebook I mention the program currently in use and how I feel when the workout is complete.  The video below will give you an overview of Turbo Jam with Chalene Johnson.  If you think you can't do this, think again.  Modification is acceptable but challenge yourself while listening to your body and you'll be astounded by just how much you can really do.  I'm seventy pounds way from my goal weight.  When I set out on this journey I was 100 pounds (get your jaw off the floor) from my healthy target BMI (Body Mass Index). I wasn't just obese, I was MORBIDLY obese.  Few people would have assumed that about me due to my height.  However, it didn't stop me from pushing play and taking on each move Chalene dished out. Now, I am able to do the moves with higher intensity and fewer modifications.  The trainers who work with Beachbody have a great energy that permeates from the television screen and into the living room.  Never do I feel I'm failing if I hit pause or modify a move so it's comfortable yet still challenging.  When I work out with Tony Horton on Power 90 I cuss at him during power yoga and push ups. I hate it but I do it.  Tony doesn't care that I yell at him.  When I do, it gets me through the rep.  Plus, it helps me breathe! I'm able to push through to the next move.  Go me!



Decide. Commit. Succeed

Keep pushing play!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WARNING: Eye contact may cause unwanted conversation

Inaugural video message from your Wildhair

Doot, doot, doot lookin' out my front door